There are so many ways that I have tried to cook a good peach cobbler in a dutch oven.
This is the easy recipe.
- 2 cans of peaches – homemade canned peaches are even better
- 1 vanilla cake mix
- brown sugar
- oil or shortening
1. Lightly coat the inside of the dutch oven with cooking oil or shortening
2. Pour contents of the 2 cans/bottles of peaches into the dutch oven
3. Pour the dry Vanilla cake mix on top of the peaches
4. Add several pats (thin slices) of butter evenly spaced on the dry cake mix – about 5-6 total
5. Lightly dust the top of the dry cake mix with the cinnamon and brown sugar
Place 8-10 briquettes on the bottom of the dutch oven and 18-20 pieces on top of the oven. This will create an oven-like cooking environment within the dutch oven.
Cook the peach cobbler for ~38 minutes and check to see if it is done. It will be done if you can put a fork in the cake mix and the fork comes out clean. If it is not done, check again every 5 minutes.
Be extra careful that you don’t spill the ashes from the top of the oven when you are checking to see if the cake is done. There is nothing worse than having to dig out ashes from the top of a steaming peach cobbler.
Serve it up hot – but warn your guests – it will be burning hot!
Also check out my other Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler recipe