I tested a great thermometer from ThermoWorks called the DOT. It is a simple probe based thermometer that is made to measure the internal temperature of a piece of meat during the cooking process. The included Pro-Series Probe is 4 inches long that can read temperatures up to 572°F with a cable that withstands 700°F for broiling or grilling.
I first used the DOT as I was making dinner for my family. I had purchased some London Broil as the main dish. My wife prefers her meat to be medium-well to well done (I know…) while I prefer mine to be more medium rare. So I had purchased two cuts of London Broil and had marinated them overnight and was grilling them and decided to test out the ThermoWorks DOT Thermometer.
ThermoWorks thoughtfully included a convenient laminated card with the DOT that provided the temperature for a Medium well cut of beef. I set the target temperature on the DOT and placed the probe into the thickest part of the London Broil and threaded the cable through one of the channels on the side of the grill and I fastened the DOT using the magnets on the back to the front of the grill and went inside to fix the rest of the dinner.
I came out a couple of times to flip the meat and to check how things were going…
After a few more minutes, my daughter called me when the alarm went off at 150°F. It was awesome!
The London Broil turned out amazing!
The things that I like about the new ThermoWorks DOT Thermometer:
- Small footprint. The DOT is about 2.5 inches in diameter
- The magnets on the back allow me to attach the thermometer to the front of my grill where it is easy to see and out of the way from the shelves on my grill
- It is sooo simple to use. Two buttons – up or down. Set the target temperature and go. After the alarm goes off indicating that you have reached the desired temperature, press either of the buttons and the alarm goes off…easy!
- The digital readout is easy to see, both where you are at and the target temperature
- The DOT comes with aPro-Series High Temp Straight Penetration Probe and is compatible with four optional ThermoWorks Pro-Series probes
- The ThermoWorks DOT Thermometer retails for only $39. That is a steal for such a well designed thermometer.
Be careful that you use a glove as you pull out the probe when you take the meat off the grill. That probe gets hot! They remind you of that in their instructions, but don’t forget it or you might burn your fingers 🙂
ThermoWorks has done it again with a well made product that will definitely get used often in my kitchen and on my grill! You have got to get one of these!
Available from ThermoWorks.com