I have been to alot of Superbowl parties and somehow, chili always makes the menu. There is something about a great bowl of chili that makes halftime that much better. So much better than a wardrobe malfunction! This is a great chili recipe that is worthy of every Chili cookoff contest around – whether it is the superbowl or a Chili cookoff at work. This recipe is worth a try!
This chili recipe has some heat. If desired, you can eliminate the habenero peppers and jalapeno peppers to tone it down a little.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped fine
- 1 habenero pepper, seeded and chopped fine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces) chili beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (Italian spiced)
- 2 cans (8 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Brown ground beef and sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain excess grease.
- While meat is cooking, saute the onions, green peppers, habenero pepper, jalapeno pepper, and garlic in the olive oil in a large dutch oven or pot at medium heat. Saute until vegetables are tender.
- Combine meat into the vegetables along with the chili beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth and season with all spices.
- Simmer on low heat for at least 2 hours stirring occasionally
Serve with cheddar cheese and sour cream and chopped green onions.